Monday, April 29, 2019

A Knock to Bang


                                                    image:pexels.com
I was on my way to work the other day and as usual stuck in a long , never-ending traffic jam. While waiting, I was accosted by several beggars. Some went away  after I politely told them I had no change to spare, there was one, who kept standing  next to  my car window, knocking hard; and I was worried that the glass would break. When I shouted at him to stop , he started making lewd comments about my appearance and made several rude hand gestures at me which made me loose my temper and demand that  my driver do something about it. I thought if my driver got out of the car , he would be scared enough to walk away but to my surprise  he wouldn't . He showed  my driver right back  and kept staring at me. I was very angry at the time, but afterwards , when I thought about it, I realised  that it is possible that very soon most of the poor on the street will start becoming more persistent and violent as inequality in this society is increasing, bringing with it more hopelessness, frustration and anger. It is worrying to think about future.

 Shoes Speak
                                                                image:pexels.com
Considering the horrendous traffic situation of the city , I prefer public transport and do not use my car, if I can help it. Last week , I hopped on a bus from ...to go home . The moment I got in, a couple of passengers approached me and began to mumble an apology. It took me a while to understand that they were explaining why they were traveling without tickets. Although I consciously believe that no work is big or small and that there is dignity in every profession, I must admit that I felt a little indignant at their honest mistake ."Please tell me what made you think that I was a ticket collector," I asked them. They laughed and apologized again , but chose not answer my question . A similar, but even more awkward thing happened in the same week : I was taking a friend to a restaurant for dinner when the security people thought I was her chauffeur and told me to wait outside. I was baffled, but my friend laughed and told me later that it was my shoes that gave a wrong impression everywhere.
Astonishing Honesty
                                                           image:pexels.com
A few days ago, I went to the cinema with some friends where I lost my wallet at the entrance. I had around five thousand taka cash in the wallet. I was so upset and worried that I barely watched the movie . When the movie ended and I was on my way out , a shabby looking man asked me whether I had lost anything . Surprised , I told him about my lost wallet and he said he had found it and recognized me from a photo in my wallet . I found the cash intact when he handed to me . This person was selling tickets in black  in front of the cinema hall. Usually we think such kind of people are supposed to be unscrupulous . But this particular man overcame his creed and his honesty and touch with humanity astonished me. Most people, perhaps, wouldn't have taken the trouble to return something precious that actually belonged to someone else.
Harassment Through Facebook

                                         image:pexels.com
I feel sorry for those teachers who have Facebook groups against their names. The other day as I signed into my Facebook profile I found myself tagged in a photo.The tagged photo was my friend, who is a teacher in a reputed English medium school . When I was about to comment on the photo, to my utter shock I found a lot of unwanted  and cheap comments made by other people who were also tagged in the photo . I called  and informed my friend about this, to which she replied that it's her students who had done this and there are a few other groups on her name created by the students. These students encourage other students to post all types of indecent comments to make fun of the teachers they don't like. Although few of the groups are closed by now, the school authority can not take any punitive measure as the creator of such groups remain anonymous. 
In The Hope of Enlightenment
                                                           image:pexels.com
Nowadays when  On one evening I was going to .....by ...bound bus from.....There was unbearable traffic congestion on the road. So, after reaching ....I decided to walk the rest of the way to .....As I walked by ....I noticed that two kids, who lived by the lake with their parents, were reading books in the light of lamp posts. People like me who were passing them were as astonished as I was to see their enthusiasm for study. Despite my desire to talk to them, I could not stay there for long. I just want to say that these kids are like our brothers . They have dreams just like us they also want to be educated .We have a responsibility toward them. In my teaching life I have seen many students who never concentrated on their studies . Their parents had to resort to energy drinks like "Complan and Horlics" to increase their kids concentration. Teachers are hired to tutor these kids in every subject . I suggest that those parents who spend lots of money on their kids' education to take their children to those poor kids who after working or begging all day long, try to continue studying in the dim light of a lamp post. I urge people who feel that they have a responsibility toward society to bring these poor children into light. Let their potential be explored. Who knows some of these kids might one day turn out to be next Ishar Chandra Vidyasagar?



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Travel in Dhaka City: Where Life Moves on a Roller Coaster

As the twilight sparkles through the magnificent architectural glitz of the city,  Dhaka   unwraps herself from a tedious day of work ...